Go to breakfast or late-night snacks, no matter what the occasion is, a grilled cheese always can be your first choice. Because there is very few classic comfort food like this. It is easy to make and tastes delicious. You do not need a ton of ingredients to make it. But one of the most important ingredients is butter.
There can be many reasons you want to avoid butter. It can be for health purposes or can be simply you do not have butter in your freeze. Whatever the reason is, the grilled cheese cannot wait, right? But ever wonder what you can use instead of butter while making it? Well, there are many options. Let’s see all about how to make grilled cheese without butter.
How to Make the Perfect Grilled Cheese (With a Parmesan Crust)
Making a grilled cheese sandwich is one of the easiest recipes ever if you know the right tips and tricks. Here is a step by step grilled cheese recipe for a perfect grilled cheese with a parmesan crust.
- First thing first, pre-heat your pan at least for five minutes. It helps to make the bread slice crisp. With a preheated skillet, the cheese will also get enough time to be malted beautifully.
- Choosing the right bread is also important to make a crispy and delicious sandwich. If the bread slice is not right for the sandwich, it will turn out soggy. We recommend sourdough bread. It not only makes it crisp but also tastes better.
- Now comes the part we all are waiting for. What can you add to grilled cheese instead of butter? Is mayo or butter better for grilled cheese? Yes, you can use mayonnaise or mayo instead of butter. You heard me right. You may never hear of this before. But mayo makes wonderful grilled cheese. Spread mayonnaise generously on one side of the bread. After that, put it on the preheated pan, mayo side down.
- Put your favorite cheese on the bread. We recommend shredded cheese if you like to have fully melted cheese as shredded cheese melt faster. You can also use cheese slices or cheddar cheese. Put your favorite filling as per your choice like tomato, onion, lettuce, etc.
- Spread mayo on another slice of bread. This time put the mayo side up. And do not forget to add some parmesan crust on both of the mayo sides of the bread to have a cheesy crust on the outer side of the bread.
- When the bread turns golden brown, flip the sandwich to the other side and wait. And your delightful grilled cheese is ready to serve. And this is a full recipe on how to make grilled cheese with mayo.
Related Article: 6 Best Stainless Steel Grill Review with Buying Guide
How to make a Four Cheese Grilled Cheese with an Iron
Grilled cheese with four different kinds of cheese sounds wonderful itself. But with an iron? Yes, it is possible to save you from many kitchenless situations like in dormitory, camping, etc.
Four Cheese Grilled Cheese was created for National Grilled Cheese Sandwich Day, which is on the 12th of April. Now let’s get to the process of how to make it with an iron.
Things you need
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated garlic
- 2 slices Italian bread
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 3 slices tomato, lengthwise, mushroom
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 slices provolone cheese
- 2 slices Asiago cheese
- 2 slices Fontina cheese
Firstly, plug in your iron set it to the highest heat setting and put it aside. Layout your tin foil and place all the filling (spinach, tomato, lengthwise, mushroom) except the cheese. Fold and cover the items and press the iron lightly over it. Do not press so hard that it liquesce. Press cook the fillings for 3 to 5 minutes on both sides. Unfold the foil and put the items on a plate.
Now spread mayo on one side of bread and put it on another tin foil, mayo side down. Pile up the cheese and the cooked fillings on the bread slice. Prepare another bread with mayo on one side, and this time, mayo side up. Repeat the process of folding the tin foil and press it with iron. Press both sides for 5 to 6 minutes.
We recommend opening up the foil immediately; otherwise, the sandwich gets a little soggy.
What is the Best Cheese for Grilled Cheese?
Let’s the debate of butter or mayo keep aside and talk about some pleasing thing, cheese. You may not like butter or mayo, but nobody never says no to cheese. And when it comes to cheese, there are so many options. So it is a common question What cheese should I use for grilled cheese?
Well, you can use whichever is your favorite. But the classic grilled cheese is made of American cheese. Because it melts perfectly when you put it on a skillet but do not burn the bread. American cheese makes a super creamy and stretchy texture when melted. Once you have it, you will know it is perfectly made for this recipe.
A simple toast slice transforms completely into a grilled cheese sandwich when a cheese slice is placed inside it. It is a simple process, but the result a mouthful. But many of us still do not know how do you spice up grilled cheese or how to make grilled cheese without butter.
We hope now you know every detail about it and will try it out yourself soon. Definitely, you will not regret, and your grilled cheese experience will change forever.