What is A Griddle Grill?
In a grilling machine you know you can make lots of different types of foods. But different types of foods need different types of preparations and different types of accessories. A griddle is what you can cook your breakfast foods like French toast, pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, and bread on it.
However, a griddle is a piece of steel or iron flat surface like a hotplate where the foods cook directly on it with the direct heat source underneath. Griddles are mostly rectangular and fit over a gas burner or campfire. Besides, griddle always stays level so the liquid comes from foods never run off to one side.
Besides, there are some different griddles from different companies. Blackstone griddle is one of the famous among them. If you want to know about how to clean a griddle grill or how to clean a Blackstone griddle or cleaning a seasoned griddle, you will come to know each of them below.
However, if you interest to know more about griddles, check out our editor’s choice of the best outdoor griddle grill along with the definitive buying guide.
Now, if you already have owned a griddle and need to clean it recently, read below to learn how to clean griddle grill the right way.
Cleaning a Griddle Grill: 3 Easy Steps
Most of the griddle is either cast iron or steel. However, the stainless-steel griddle is used widely in the home and restaurants.
Step 1: Preparing For The Cleaning
- First, turn on the griddle and let it become hot a little bit. The warm flat top will help you to wipe out the bits of grime and residue more easily while cleaning. Keep in mind that different griddle needs different temperatures and different soaps for cleaning. Check your griddle’s user manual for the specific information.
- Take warm water of small bowl or bucket. Mix the griddle soap with it. Read the user manual that comes with soap to know how much liquid soap you need to use.
Step 2: The Cleaning Process
- Take a clean sponge or and dip it into the warm water you’ve just prepared. Start scrubbing your griddle in a back-and-forth or up-and-down scrubbing motion. Dip and wash the sponge into the water frequently so that the griddle can get a steady application of soapy water.
- If the grates are too sturdy or extremely solid, use a griddle scrapper, grill brush, or a grill brick to rub off the hard greasy and foods. However, make sure you rub gently in the direction of the grain, otherwise, the surface of the flat top may ruin.
- Another way to clean all the grates from your griddle is using a mixture of vinegar and water. Just mix some vinegar with a small bowl of water and scrub the flat top with a sponge-like before.
- If your griddle is made of iron, you should first heat up the grill. Then wear heat-resistant gloves and perform cleaning with the Blackstone cleaning kit. This will help you to wipe out the very strong rust on your griddle.
- After cleaning the surface you should wash the burner protectors also. You will find a latch in your grill and with a pull, the protectors will come off. All you need to do is soak the protectors in that soapy water and rub them with a sponge. It will remove the dirt, rust, and greases and make them look as new.
If your griddle or flat top has a chromium surface, never use the following things for the cleaning process:
- Steel wool
- Commercial liquid grill cleaners
- Any sharp instrument like a spatula
- Griddle stones or abrasives
Step 3: Maintenance After The Cleaning
- After finishing every of your meal preparation or at the end of every day, it would be better if you wash and sanitize the waste drawer and polish the griddle with a dry clean cloth.
- Once a week, unplug your entire grill unit and let the griddle completely cool. Then clean the surface and rinse with water thoroughly with a fresh cleaning cloth and a non-scratch griddle cleaner.
- After every 2-3 weeks, you should re-season the flat top to cook the food fresh always.
How Do You Clean a Seasoned Griddle?
Before going to the cleaning process directly, let us tell a few words about “seasoning”. In order to add some flavor to your foods and prevent foods from being sticky to the cooking surface, seasoning is recommended as it creates a non-stick coat and averts scratching while cooking.
In words, “seasoning” is kind of a process of baking oil on the griddle or flat top surface which adds flavor and prevents scrapes later. It helps to improve the durability of the griddle and enrich the cooking process.
However, once your griddle or flat top is seasoned, you do not need to repeat the seasoning process each time you prepare your meal. The seasoning will stay undamaged and preserve the precious seasoning for your future meals for a long time if you properly follow the cleaning procedure after each of your cooking sessions. Now, let’s have a look how to clean a seasoned griddle properly below.
Cleaning a Seasoned Griddle The Right Ways
1. Turn off the grill machine and let it stay cool overnight.
2. In the next morning, prepare for your cleaning process by taking a paper towel and a scraper.
3. First, remove your food greases from the flat top griddle and then gently wipe these away with the paper towel.
4. Once you get done with the primary cleaning, take another paper towel, take some hot oil or water on it and gently wipe the whole flat top instead of using a spatula.
5. If the seasoned griddle gets tougher spots of food residue, pour 2 liters of boiling water mixing with ¼ cup of salt on the flat top and leave it for 5 minutes. It will eat away the tougher residue. Then wipe the spots with a dry paper towel.
5. Coat the flat top with non-stick cooking oil spray after the cleaning process. It will help to maintain the seasoning bond and avoids future rust build-up.
6. Try to perform a gentle cleaning each time after preparing your meal. However, do not use soap to wash your seasoned griddle.
If you want to know about How To Clean A Flat Top Grill , Click Here
How Often Should I Clean the Griddle Grill?
We always recommend to mildly clean the griddle or Blackstone flat top before use and a thorough clean up after the use. It will keep the grill out off any pesky fats or food residue after preparing each meal. Besides, it will remove any smell from the previous oil or meals that can make your next food stink.
If you do not use your grill every day, you can consider cleaning the griddle after every 3 weeks. The grill is the best place for molds to flourish and bacteria to develop. Try to keep it clean but do not hard clean it every day and avoid using sharp tools like spatula while cleaning.
Hope now you know completely about how to clean a griddle grill properly. If you have any further questions to ask, don’t hesitate to comment below. We will be there for you. Happy cooking.