If you are a professional chef or just love to cook for your family, then hygiene of the cooking environment is one of the most important things to look after. No difference when it comes to flat top grill. Cleaning flat top grills do not come in easy terms. We have seen many professionals who are confused about how to clean a flat top grill perfectly.
You need to deep clean your flat top grill thoroughly time to time in order to keep it in good terms. But have you ever wondered, How to clean a flat top grill? The best possible way. Well, we will try to explain all of it in this article step by step.
What is a Flat Top Grill and When Do You Need It?
A flat-top grill is similar to a flat top griddle. But the difference is the heating system, which is circular rather than straight. Because of this technology, a flat top grill heats up pretty quickly and evenly. It comes with a large surface to cook larger meals. Its shape is slightly bowed so that the fat and juice from the meet can be extracted by the gravity, which makes the perfect hamburger.
A flat top grill is pretty large in size so that it is perfect for restaurants. People also like it for home as it is very convenient for BBQ parties in the backyard or any kind of family gatherings. Home or restaurant, a flat top grill makes the cooking game so much easier. It is also easy to use and maintain.
So, if you are planning for opening a restaurant or a big family gathering, a flat top grill is a must need for you.
Is It Differs Cleaning Different Type Of flat Top Grill?
In the flat top grill industry, you will mostly find three types of flat-top grill – Indoor, Outdoor and Commercial. The differences are based mainly on their size and heating system.
Indoor flat tops are small so that it can fit in your kitchen easily. The outdoor one is larger than that, mainly for outdoor parties.
Finally, the commercial one is as its name recommends. It is mostly can be found in restaurants.
Other than these, the surface of flat-top grills is mostly made of stainless steel. So the cleaning process does not differ much. If you know the basics of how to clean a flat top grill, you can easily clean any one of them. In this article, we will try to provide you as much knowledge as you need to know to clean any type of flat top grill.
Things You Need to Clean a Flat Top Grill
To clean a flat top griddle, you might consider getting some accessories; specially made for cleaning the flat top grill. Right tools can make work much easier and hustle free. On the other hand, when you choose the wrong tools, it might damage the grill itself. So let’s see what tools you need to get to clean the flat top perfectly.
Grill Scraper: It’s a blade to scrape off the food from the grill. It has a plastic handle so that you can scrape the food while the grill is still hot. You can also chop food with it.
Grill Scrub Pad: It looks like dishwashing sponge which is specially made for scrubbing dirt, debris, and grease from grill surface.
Grill Brush: A grill brush or Palmetto cleaning brush is necessary while cleaning the grill. It comes with thick bristle on a wooden handle so that it is easier to brush off the food residue.
Grill screen: Grill screens are made of rayon and coated with aluminium oxide. It helps to clean up the food residue and grease buildup on the flat top.
Griddle pad holder: It is basically a holder which can hold the scrub pad and grill screen both. It is needed when you clean the grill while it is hot. Plus it also helps to keep your hands clean as much as possible.
Flat Top Grill Cleaner: You will find cleaners specifically made for the flat top grill. Some are high-temperature cleaner, which works great to clean your flat top.
Grill Brick: If you want the minimal product to clean the flat top, you have to get the grill brick. Which can do every bit of cleaning, all the other tools are capable of doing.
Other than those tools, you will also need vegetable oil, cloth, warm water, soapy water to properly clean a flat top grill.
How to Clean a Flat Top Grill?
If your food is constantly getting burned or flavour is mixing up, then it might be time for some cleaning.
Cleaning procedure may vary a little, but all basic procedure is somewhat the same. These procedures vary by the grill’s type and material. For commercial griddle, following steps of normal ones would not give you the best result. It is the other way around for non-commercial grills.
So, following appropriate steps is crucial. In later parts, we have discussed them in detail.
Step by Step Guide:
We have spent resources to find some best ways of cleaning flat-top grills.
These are tried and tested methods by professionals and enthusiasts alike. If you follow the instruction thoroughly, you are guaranteed to get a piece of clean equipment.
Some steps might require an external tool like a polish, and Some might be a little dangerous to the grills if not carefully followed.
If the instructions are not followed accurately, it might cause concern. The longevity of this equipment might get shortened. Even the equipment itself might get damaged.
In the next few sections, we have managed to find a few best ways about how to clean flat top grill. You might think I own a griddle too, what about them. How to clean griddle properly? Don’t worry; we got you covered too, especially how to clean Blackstone griddle.
How Do You Clean A Stainless Steel Flat Top Grill?
If you have stainless steel flat top grill follow these steps.
- Scrapping Surface: First of all, heat up the surface (around 300-350 degrees) and then scrape the surface using griddle scraper. It will help to clean the food residues come off from the surface.
- Pouring warm water: After you are done with your scrapping, pour warm water carefully. (you must use warm water) It will clean the greasy particles from the surface.
- Scrubbing: As soon as the surface gets cooled place your griddle pad and screen on top of each other and then onto your griddle. Now scrub the whole surface thoroughly. Also, press them with the pad holder afterwards.
- Wiping: Then wash the surface and wipe it. Later apply the stainless cleaner that you can get as spray mostly.
- Drying: Finishing all the steps let your flat top grill dry completely
How Do You Clean A Commercial Griddle?
If you’re using the grill for restaurants or any kind of commercial purposes, then you need to be extra careful while using it.
Mostly the commercial griddle is chrome type surface. They are expensive, and you would probably want it to use it in the long run. In that case, you definitely should clean it every day.
- Scrapping off grease and debris: Although many prefer the grill to stay cooled down while scrapping, try to scrape the large debris, food residue and grease from the surface while the griddle is hot.
- Adding warm water: Add warm water so that the grease buildup gets boiled and keep scrubbing with a palmetto brush. One important thing to remember is that do not use any kind of abrasive tools like grill brick, scouring pad in chrome plate.
- Cooling it down: Now let the flat grill top cooled down and dry the surface.
- Applying polish: When the surface dries completely, apply non-abrasive food-safe polish on it.
- Removing Polish: After sometimes wipe off the polish using any damp cloths.
How To Clean A Flat Top Grill Without Chemicals
Whenever it comes to cleaning there are always two options as with or without chemicals. Development in science has gifted us many hassle-free cleaning products that clean the particular product perfectly.
But nothing is really perfect. Using chemicals cleaning products brings some bad effects with it, which you may want to avoid. That’s why many people depend on natural products to clean stuff.
Nothing exceptional about flat-top grills. They can be cleaned without chemicals too.
Here is how you clean them without using chemicals:
- Cleaning flat-top grills with lemon juice
- Cleaning flat-top grill with vinegar
- Using soapy water
- By Onion scrubbing
- By water and steam
- Hot oil cleaning
How Do You Get Rust Off A Flat Top Grill?
Rust is basically a product produced by oxidation of iron in the presence of water and oxygen. One of those very normal but disturbing chemical reactions that we need to deal with often while using iron made equipment.
So if you’re using your flat top grill on a place with high humidity or it comes in the touch of water or air, it may get rusted.
How saddening this would be if your shiny Blackstone flat top grill just turns into a rusty, dull griddle.
So here are some tips to keep it shiny:
- Firstly heat the griddle high so that the rust gets loosen and then scrape it rigorously.
- Now let it cool and wipe off the dirt and residues.
- Add some cooking oil and scrub the entire surface.
- Better if you use grill stone rather than any kind of grill brush
- Now clean the area with cloths and repeat the process till the rust is gone.
- An additional tip is to cover your griddle and keep it in a dry place. Also, season your griddle to prevent further rusting.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is It Good to Leave Commercial Griddle Seasoned?
Do flat top grills need to deep clean every day?
Is using ice is good for cleaning a flat top grill?
Is high temperature grill cleaner is good to clean a flat top?
What are the black craps are made of on top of the grill?
Does coke actually works to cut off the grease?
How to make the flat top grill silver from discolouration?
How to keep the surface of a flat top non-sticky over time?
Who doesn’t want a long-lasting appliance, especially when it comes to grilling? We know who doesn’t, it’s debris and grease. Keep an eye out for them, and you are good.
Using and cleaning it can extend its life span as well as keep the food value intact.
So follow any of the ways mentioned above about how to clean a flat top grill and have delicious, healthy food cooked on your grill.